An official announcement from the district indicates that middle and high school teams from all over Texas are known to usually join the tournament. The event, collaboratively organised with Vanta Texas League, will occur from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m.
The announcement also revealed some additional key points about the contest:
- The top performing teams can expect to receive over $10,000 in prizes
- Alienware, a gaming equipment manufacturer which is a Dell subsidiary, will provide demo devices on location for the tournament
Schools and academic bodies typically organise Esports tournaments. The district announcement highlighted that youth esports platforms and leagues present various benefits to participants which entail:
- Motivating aspiring esports leaders
- Fostering teamwork
- Setting a stage for articulate communication practice
- Encouraging strategic thought processes
The announcement also noted that GCISD provides esports classes at Colleyville Heritage High School, Grapevine High School, and district middle schools. Over 50 teams participated in the GCISD tournament last year.