Jailton Almeida, currently ranked No. 9 in the UFC’s heavyweight division, recognizes a golden opportunity and is eager to grasp it. Even before his main event battle against Derrick Lewis at UFC Sao Paulo on Saturday, he told Yahoo Sports’ Kevin Iole he already was thinking about the future.
“I aspire to be the backup for UFC 295,” Almeida said earlier this week. Heavyweights Tom Aspinall and Sergei Pavlovich will fight for the interim title in the co-main event of that card after champion Jon Jones was injured and forced to cancel his fight against ex-champion Stipe Miocic.
Almeida’s determination is no joke, despite the fact that he’s about to face Lewis, the UFC’s record-holder for knockouts. Every fighter understands the perils of looking beyond their immediate opponent, but winning significant bouts can only enhance Almeida’s career.
This showdown with Lewis marks Almeida’s first encounter with a Top 10 opponent, arriving at an opportune time. While Lewis may not be the same fighter he once was, his recent 33-second first-round knockout of Marcos Rogerio de Lima at UFC 291 in July solidifies his rank at No. 10 and fuels his ambition to climb back up the rankings with hopes of another shot at the championship.
Follow the entire card below with Yahoo Sports as we bring you the latest results and highlights from Brazil.
How to watch UFC Sao Paulo without cable:
Date: Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023
Prelims time: 6 p.m. ET
Main card time: 9 p.m. ET
Location: Ginasio Do Ibirapuera, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Where to stream UFC Fight Night this weekend
(Chris Gardner/Getty Images)
UFC Sao Paulo: Jailton Almeida vs. Derrick Lewis main card results, odds (Start time 9 p.m. ET, ESPN+)
• Heavyweight: Derrick Lewis (+375) vs. Jailton Almeida (-500)
• Welterweight: Gabriel Bonfim (-625) vs. Nicolas Dalby (+445)
• Heavyweight: Rodrigo Nascimento (-200) vs. Don’tale Mayes (+165)
• Middleweight: Caio Borralho (-300) vs. Abus Magomedov (+240)
• Middleweight: Rodolfo Vieira (-105) vs. Armen Petrosyan (-115)
UFC Sao Paulo: Jailton Almeida vs. Derrick Lewis prelims card results, odds, highlights (Live now on ESPN+)
• Lightweight: Elves Brener (-210) vs. Kaynan Kruschewsky (+170)
• Welterweight: Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (+280) vs. Rinat Fakhretdinov (-360)
• Light heavyweight: Vitor Petrino (-265) vs. Modestas Bukauskas (+215)
• Women’s strawweight: Angela Hill (+115) vs. Denise Gomes (-135)
• Women’s strawweight: Eduarda Moura def. Montserrat Conejo Ruiz by TKO (strikes) at 2:14 of R2:
• Lightweight: Marc Diakiese def. Kaue Fernandes by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
Why you can trust us: We may earn commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we believe in. Pricing and availability are subject to change.